I remember, in 2012 I had written 2 papers for blind students. After that, somehow I lost connect with the help group, plus I didnt attempt to find contact details etc. This year, I found this message on twitter and decided to be part of this very nice Initiative by Saathi – an initiative to integrate students with blindness into the college main life. Read More Here or SAATHI Enabling Centre (Overview in PDF)
Thus, decided to share it with twitter friends, WA groups and FB etc.
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 3, 2016
I confirmed my availability for English, Marathi writing, Any day, Any timeslot. Based on this, had a call with Kirti Deo – who was coordinating for this initiative. Chalked out a schedule for 9 days. And this journey started – being writer for blind students. I wrote exams in Fergusson College, Pune and SP College, Pune
WHAT I LEARNED – VALUE OF BEING ABLE TO SEE!
Instead of writing long observations and notes, would like to sum it up in points below
- Blind students are absolutely motivated and their energy is way high than normal people like us
- They need more support in ‘learning’ process
- Many didn’t have access to audio notes, other study material
- Blind students were happy to meet me, many exchanged good info on general life etc
- All most everyone was well prepared and attempted all questions
- They use public transport – as a routine, given that there are no special facilities for blind or disabled people, immense respect for all these students
- Most of the students were focused and knew what they are going to do for a living, especially TYBA and MA students
- Everyone smiled. Everyone SMILED
What can you do?
- STOP cribbing. We crib a lot about so many things which dont matter.
- Take out time – YES EVERYONE is busy, to help these folks
- They are differently abled, if you spend more time with them, you would be far better human being
- Please dont expect monitory benefits – there was a message on WA group, of some writer asking for ‘payment’ on writing paper.
- These experiences have great value in LIFE. Please help needy
- Dont just share it on social media, go out and work by making some time
Here is the timeline for the writing schedule. Hope to see you next time in one of the examination hall.
Was writer for BA student. Saathi is doing good work in providing help for disabled. Good experience writing paper in Marathi #EarnBlessings
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 7, 2016
Today I wrote TYBA history paper in Marathi for blind student gajanan. He attempted all the questions. #EarnBlessings
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 8, 2016
Good deed of the day. Wrote FYBA 1st year psychology paper for Akash. A blind student from Pune. Saathi is the NGO coordinating for this.
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 10, 2016
Wrote paper for Onkar, MA Political science student. Sharp guy and good knowledge on sports and movies. Good deed of the day. Onkar is blind
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 13, 2016
Anita is visually impaired. Helped her write FYBA political policies semester paper. Good deed of the day. #EarnBlessings
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 14, 2016
Monday morning began by writing paper for intelligent blind student – Parshuram. Marathi was today’s subject. Fast and elaborate answers.
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 17, 2016
SY BA Vyavaharik Marathi paper writing for blind student Shahrukh. Good deed of the day. #EarnBlessings
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 18, 2016
Lokprashasan – TY BA Paper done, for Vikas. He is a sharp and intelligent blind student. Saathi – NGO from #Pune is the coordinator.
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 19, 2016
Human Rights , MA part 1. Wrote again for Omkar . Good deed of the day! #EarnBlessings
— Soham (@sohamsabnis) October 20, 2016